DIY Manicure Nails with Manicare
Watch Manicare's DIY home manicure video!
Manicare's Beauty Advisor, Uzi @uhmstudio, teaches you how to perform the perfect manicure at home.
Steps to perfect manicure at home
We all want to look and feel confident every day and beautifully manicured nails really help us feel great. Learn how to manicure at home like a pro using the Manicare expert range of shapers, clippers, buffers, files & more. We’ll share the right techniques and tips so line up your tools and great ready to give yourself a beautiful manicure at home.
Step 1: Clean Nails with Polish Remover
Firstly, wash your hands using water and soap to remove any excess dirt underneath the nails before removing any previously applied nail polish. Even if you don't have polish on, use the remover on each nail to remove oils and dirt. Simply soak a cotton pad with the nail polish remover and gently rub onto each nail.
- Use an acetone-free nail polish remover for normal polish
- Use acetone nail polish remover to remove stubborn colours or glitter.
Product we recommend: Nail Polish Remover Pads - Floral.
Step 2: Trim, File and Shape Nails
If necessary, clip your nails with clippers or scissors designed for fingers. Cut your nails slightly longer than what you want because filing and shaping will also trim the length! If you want your nails to be all the same length, pick out the shortest nail and use that as a reference to ensure all nails are being filed to a uniform length and shape.
Nail shape is a personal choice so do what’s best for you or you like the most. Using your favourite Manicare shaper, file in one direction only using a side to centre motion and avoid filing in a back and forth sawing motion. Try to avoid excess filing of nail corners as they provide strength to the nails.
Step 3: Remove Cuticles
Prep cuticles with Manicare Cuticle Remover to help dissolve dead skin and soften the area. Gently rub the cuticle remover all over your nail bed and around the nails. Tip: If you have a lot of cuticle build-up, soak your fingers in warm water first!
Once your cuticles are soft, dry your hands with a towel and removing excess cuticle remover residue. Gently ease back and trim the dry skin with a specialty cuticle stick. If you have damaged or split cuticles, do not use cuticle sticks or trimmer to avoid damage to your nails.
Tip: Cuticle oil and cuticle remover are not the same things. Cuticle oil helps keep the skin around nails healthy and promotes healthy nail growth and we recommend applying the oil on a regular basis.
Product we recommend: Cuticle Trimmer, With Bonus Pusher.
Step 4: Buff Your Nails
To ensure a smooth surface for colour or treatment application, use the Manicare 4-way Buffer to buff the tops and sides of your nails lightly to remove ridges and uneven surfaces.
- Buff the surface of the nail gently, moving the buffer from the base of the nail towards the free edge
- Use the finer grit of the buffer to polish your nails
- Use the smooth side to shine the nails Before applying any final treatment, press-on nails or colour, gently wash and dry hands.
If there is still any residue or oils on the nails, finish by swiping over each nail with nail polish remover.
Step 5: Applying Colour, Press-On Nails or Nail Treatment
Before we jump straight into the fun part, it is super important to apply a base coat. A base coat, it acts as a barrier between the natural nail and provides a smooth even finish. The base coat also protects the nail from discolouring and prevents the nail from becoming brittle. Don’t feel like you need to apply a lot of product, a thin coat will do!
- Begin by using the Manicare Beginning to End Treatment as a base coat. Once the coat is dry, apply colour to the nails in one smooth motion starting from your pinkie to your thumb. Use three strokes on each nail – middle and on either side of the nail.
- Apply one or two coats for an even, rich colour. Remember to allow each layer to dry before applying additional coats. For darker polish, applying a base coat will ensure a deeper colour.
- Finish off with a top coat to provide essential protection for your nail polish and help with the overall appearance and longevity of nail polish. Clean up any colour outside the edges of your nails by wrapping a piece of cotton ball soaked in nail polish remover around the end of your Manicare Cuticle Stick and carefully trace around your nails. If you have nail polish remover pads, try folding one into a triangle for more precise application.
Tip: For a special nail treatment, apply the Manicare Daily Nail Hardener before you begin any painting.
French Manicure is perfect if you prefer to create a traditional, clean and modern look.
- Begin by using the Manicare Beginning to end Treatment as a base coat. Only one coat is required.
- Apply French tip white stickers included in your Manicare's Flawless French Manicure Kit to each nail. Gently push the edges down with a Manicare Cuticle Stick.
- Apply two coats of Flawless French White to the top section of your nails and allow to dry before carefully peeling off the stickers to reveal a clean and crisp white tip.
- Choose between the Pink or Clear topcoat and apply one to two coats as desired.
Apply Press-On Nails
Get salon-quality results with Glam by Manicare Long Lasting Salon Nails with Flexi-Tech technology. Glam nails are lightweight and curve to the natural contours of your fingertips for comfortable wear. The chip-resistant UV gel coating provides an ultra-smooth high shine gloss finish for up to 10 days wear. Easy application:
- Select the correct size for each nail
- Apply glue directly onto your nail
- Apply nail and press for 5 seconds
Tip: For a fast and easy application for a special night or weekend, use the bonus press-on tabs.
After all your hard work, a few good habits can extend the life of your DIY manicure. It’s always good to have breaks in between acrylic or gel nail polishes.
- For strengthening, apply Revitanail Intensive Strength to nails and repeat daily as per product instructions.
- Maintain cuticles by applying cuticle oil on a regular basis
- Keep your favourite hand cream close by for easy application throughout the day
For that extra special treatment, use the Revitanail Hand & Nail Cream and apply it to your hands, forearms and elbows in a massaging technique. Take the opportunity to give yourself a mini hand massage.
Ready to perfect your own manicure at home? Browse your extensive range of hand & nail products now.